Submit an Abstract
Thank you for your interest in participating in the SSA 2022 Annual Meeting.
We are currently accepting abstracts for our late-breaking session “The 15 January 2022 Tonga Eruption and Tsunami.”
The 15 January 2022 Tonga Eruption and Tsunami
The 15 January 2022 eruption of Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai in the Tonga Islands was unprecedented in modern times. It was one of the largest volcanic explosions of the instrumental era and also caused atmospheric shockwaves that circled the globe. The eruption produced a tsunami that traveled throughout the Pacific and was also observed at locations in the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. We welcome papers on the eruption, the atmospheric waves, any sources and characteristics of the tsunami, remote or nearby measurements of any of the associated phenomena, as well as threat assessment and communications and impacts.
Conveners: Peggy Hellweg, University of California, Berkeley; Lori A. Dengler, Humboldt State University; Emile A. Okal, Northwestern University; Seth Moran, U.S. Geological Survey; Stuart Weinstein, PTWC; Summer Ohlendorf, NTWC.
Deadline: Tuesday, 8 March 2022 at 5 p.m. Pacific.
All presenters will be required to attend the meeting in person. SSA requires all meeting attendees be fully vaccinated.
Late-breaking Abstract Deadline
8 March 2022 at 5 p.m. Pacific
Abstract Submission Requirements
- Your title must include no more than 250 characters including spaces.
- Your abstract description must include no more than two paragraphs and 2,000 characters including spaces).
- You may include up to 30 authors.
- You may use italics, superscript and subscript.
- If you don’t see a technical session for your research, submit to the general session and additional sessions will be organized in January.
- There is no limit to the number of abstracts one can submit as a first author.
- The abstract fee is $40 for students, $80 for professionals.
- If you are not an SSA member, you will be asked to provide the name and email of an SSA member sponsor at the time of submission.
- All oral and poster presenters will be required to attend the meeting in person.
- SSA requires all meeting attendees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
For questions about submitting your abstract, please contact SSA at firstname.lastname@example.org.