Record Number of Travel Grants Awarded for 2017 Annual Meeting
With the generous support of the SSA community, the Travel Grant Selection Committee awarded eighteen grants to support the participation of our European Seismological Commission, international and student members at the Annual Meeting in Denver, April 18-20, 2017.
The eighteen winners of the 2017 travel grants are as follows:
ESC-SSA Travel Grant:
- Gregor Schweppe, Cologne University, Germany
International Travel Grants:
- Anton Biryukov, University of Calgary, Canada
- Zoya Farajpour, International Institute of Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Iran
- Frederick Jackson, Western University, Canada
- Sanjay Singh Negi, Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology, India
Student Travel Grants:
- Elizabeth Berg, University of Utah
- Edward Brooks, Northwestern University
- Yenan Cao, University of Notre Dame
- Rosa García Castro, Universidad de El Salvador, El Salvador
- Wenyuan Fan, University of California San Diego
- Alex Grant, University of Washington
- Tiegan Hobbs, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Hannah Mejia, Baylor University
- Manuel Mendoza, University of California Riverside
- Sunyoung Park, Harvard University
- Maeva Pourpoint, Pennsylvania State University
- Nader Shakibay Senobari, University of California Riverside
- Tim Sonnemann, University of Iceland, Iceland
Congratulations to the recipients of the 2017 travel grants! As the interest in our travel grant program grows, SSA will continue to seek member donations so that we may meet the demand for financial support. If you would like to help by donating, you can do so here.
Notice: The travel grant submission process is now closed. A full announcement about the travel grants awarded can be found here.
Modest travel grants are available to international SSA members, student SSA members and persons traveling from European Seismological Commission member-states who wish to attend the SSA Annual Meeting. All grant recipients must submit a first-authored meeting-abstract and must present their work in either an oral or poster session at the meeting.
- The International Travel Grant is available to SSA members who must travel from outside the US to attend the SSA meeting.
- The Student Travel Grant is available to SSA student members who must travel more than 500 km (311 miles) to attend the meeting.
- The ESC/SSA Travel Grant is available to anyone traveling from a member-state of the European Seismological Commission. This grant is provided under a cooperative agreement between SSA and ESC.
Click here to see the list of ESC member-states.
Applications will be accepted starting 1 November 2016 and are due by 30 November 2016. Travel grants cover the cost of meeting registration and provide a modest cash award (for the 2016 meeting, U.S. based students received a cash award of $700 and international-based students received $1500 cash, in addition to the waived registration fee). Only one application per institution may be awarded.
Please note: In order for their applications to be considered, all STUDENTS applying for any of these grants must have a faculty advisor submit a 1-2 paragraph letter of support.